Ultrasound is one of the most important imaging tests, as it is a simple to perform, safe, accurate and reliable method with a high diagnostic potential. This diagnostic test uses high-frequency sound waves in order to provide visibility inside the organs, facilitating the diagnosis of many diseases. Adults ultrasounds do not involve radiation, so they can be performed several times without any risk.
Ultrasounds for adults are used to evaluate embryonic development and can detect problems with the liver, heart, kidneys or abdomen. They can also be used to examine internal organs, such as the liver and kidneys, pancreas, thyroid gland, testicles and ovaries, etc., and help perform certain types of biopsy.
With the use of special equipment that we have in our clinic, the way sound waves pass through the body is recorded, allowing the examination of various organs and the finding of tumors, nodules, cysts and stones in various parts of the body. Ultrasounds for adults facilitate the detailed visualization of even the smallest structures of the human body, increasing the diagnostic reach.
The most common uses of this examination are:
- Abdominal ultrasound to detect any stones in the gall bladder or kidneys and in general to check the proper functioning and the existence of pathological conditions in the liver, kidneys, pancreas and spleen, ureters and prostate gland.
- Breast ultrasound examination in order to detect or look for suspicious findings such as tumors.
- Ultrasound examination of the thyroid gland and parathyroid glands to detect thyroid diseases.
- Ultrasound examination of the lungs and chest, for the diagnosis of diseases such as pneumothorax, pneumonia and other lung and chest diseases.
- Cervical ultrasound.
- Ultrasound examination of the internal genital organs to visualize the uterus and ovaries. It is used to diagnose conditions such as cysts or causes of bleeding and pain.
- Ultrasound examination of the scrotum, testicles for the male population.
- Soft tissue examination via ultrasounds.
- Ultrasound of the musculoskeletal system and joints, for the detection and diagnosis of diseases related to tendons, muscles, ligaments, nerves and peripheral joints.
- Salivary glands ultrasound examination.
During pregnancy, ultrasound is the most effective diagnostic method for monitoring the course of pregnancy without using radiation. At the same time, adult ultrasounds can facilitate the identification of cancerous tumors and the monitoring of cancer treatment.